ADHD Testing for Children in Lincoln, NE
What is ADHD and What Symptoms Should I Look For?
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, more commonly known as ADHD, is a brain disorder that can affect children differently. If left untreated, this issue can cause a child to be restless, misbehave and prevent him or her from learning in school.
Our Pediatricians are specially trained to detect the common symptoms of ADHD and are able to recommend a treatment plan if necessary. Learn more about the common signs and symptoms of ADHD and schedule an appointment at our office in Lincoln today!
|Book Your Appointment Online||Or Call (402) 489-3834|
Common Symptoms of ADHD
Inattention, hyperactivity and impulse control are not symptoms that are exclusive to children with ADHD, but the symptoms tend to be more pronounced in those who are affected. Although ADHD affects everyone differently, the following behaviors are the most commonly observed issues:
- Inattention: ADHD can cause a child to have difficulty paying attention. Children who are inattentive tend to be disorganized and may give up on tasks easily. Many parents mistake these behaviors as simply misbehaving, but in children with ADHD they are not making an intentional choice to behave this way.
- Impulse Control: Typically, even children without ADHD need to learn impulse control over time. But, if your child doesn’t seem to “grow out of” the pattern of making decisions without thinking or interrupting others, the disorder could be the cause.
Causes of ADHD
Over the years, there has been a lot of misinformation about the causes of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Researchers used to believe that ADHD could be the result of brain damage, head injuries or even the ingestion of too much refined sugar. All of these theories have been disproved.
Simply put, ADHD is caused by chemical and structural dysfunctions in the brain that are the result of genetics. Pathways in the brain and neurotransmitters that regulate dopamine and norepinephrine are different in those with ADHD than those without.
Treatment Options at Lincoln Pediatrics in Lincoln, Nebraksa
There are several options for treating a child with ADHD. With appropriate care, a child can manage symptoms and can begin to better focus in school and at home. Common treatment options include:
- Therapy to help a child learn to manage his or her symptoms.
- Parent Training to help create an environment that will allow their child to thrive.
- Medication to decrease severe symptoms.
- School Intervention to make teachers aware of any necessary accommodations.
If you would like to schedule a consultation with one of our pediatricians in our Omaha office, give us a call today at (402) 489-3834 or schedule your appointment online using our secure form.